As Yoga teachers, we demonstrate the values (yamas) and personal disciplines (niyamas) that are part of the yogic life. We use our knowledge and experience to facilitate learning, creativity, and personal growth for our students, colleagues and community. We recognize that we hold a unique position of trust and influence and honor that position with mindfulness in our thoughts, words, and actions.
- We demonstrate non-violence by acting with care and compassion. We act in the best interest of our students. We acknowledge the gift of diversity in cultures, religions, beliefs, families, and individuals.
- We demonstrate truthfulness by speaking openly, honestly, and kindly. We choose words, sounds, and gestures that communicate clearly and without causing harm.
- We demonstrate non-stealing by respecting the property – both physical and intellectual – of others. We do not steal or diminish another’s ideas or self-esteem.
- We demonstrate self-control by maintaining a professional relationship with all others. We behave in ways that respect ourselves and others.
- We demonstrate unselfishness by willingly and graciously sharing our knowledge and experience of the path of Yoga. We encourage cooperation and value the contribution of others.
- We demonstrate cleanliness by providing a sparkling, sanitary, safe and comfortable learning environment. We are committed to pureness of body, mind and physical space.
- We demonstrate contentment by expressing a calm attitude and gratitude for what we have. We provide a learning environment that conveys simplicity and beauty.
- We demonstrate self-discipline by keeping our commitments to our students, colleagues and communities. We behave in ways that respect and advance the professionalism of teaching Yoga.
- We demonstrate self-study by adhering to our own practice of Yoga. We ensure competency in the services we offer by our own continuous study of the principles of Yoga.
- We demonstrate faith in divinity by honoring the inherent value, innate wisdom, and unique contribution of all living beings.