Therapeutic Yoga for Children
The ancient insights of Yoga for the well being of children today.
Currently being offered in -
Many imbalances children face today are either triggered or exacerbated by stress. Yoga reduces stress, oftentimes strangling the root of the “disease.” Yoga also expertly addresses mental and emotional imbalances – anxiety, depression, sensory processing issues and challenges with attention and focus. Yoga helps regulate the nervous system – the home base of these conditions. It also addresses the mind, which includes attitudes and perspective that effect health at every level.
There is mounting evidence that the medications used to treat these “soft” conditions of the mind and emotions are not only ineffective in the long run, but are also dangerous and impede proper development. Read more. Lifestyle enhancements and personal discipline, inherent in the practice of yoga, can make a huge difference.
Regardless of where an individual falls on the spectrum of health or disease, Yoga is a life affirming practice that promotes well being on all levels, while addressing the whole person and revealing the natural state of true health that is everyone's birthright.
By the end of this program, you will be able to -
- Apply an understanding of the theory and techniques of specific yoga practices such as regulated breathing, guided relaxation, and physical postures (yoga poses) to help children experience emotional regulation and sensory integration.
- Shift thinking from disease-based assessment and treatment to wholeness/well being based life-affirming approaches.
- Recognize how environmental and lifestyle factors shape behavior and well being along with steps to positively impact these factors.
- Determine the components of an optimal healing environment - internal and external.
- Incorporate this training into your work by creating individualized wellness plans - for both children and families.
Addtionally, in this 50 hour summer intensive you will learn -
- Specific assessment tools
- Criteria for the diagnosis of health conditions children commonly face
- How to research conditions
- How to create individualized wellness plans - for both children and families
- The components of an optimal healing environment - internal and external
- Lifestyle – diet, sleep, routine
- Sensory integration techniques
- 5 kosha model
- Energetic and nervous system anatomy
- Deep listening skills/compassionate communication
- Meditation, Mantras and Mudras
- Yoga nidra
You will learn how to facilitate one-on-one, family and small group sessions for children with specific health imbalances. Included in the manual is a complete 6-week course for reducing anxiety, done for you and ready to use. You will also have several opportunities to practice these skills in small group sessions during this training. All in a beautiful retreat center in rural Illinois.
Each morning begins with a yoga practice followed by breakfast. After breakfast is a lecture/discussion session. A long lunch break allows plenty of time for assimilating the morning's learning, taking a walk, going for a swim, reading in the rich resource library or whatever you like to do to relax and refresh.
Between lunch and dinner are workshops covering the various conditions, case studies and examples of practical applications. After dinner are group and individual presentations to demonstrate understanding of the principles being taught. The full days are a balanced blend of 9hrs of learning and 4 1/2 hrs of leisure. The training ends at 9:00pm each evening and we encourage quiet after 10:00pm.
The required reading for this course includes Yoga and Ayurveda by David Frawley and Yoga For Wellness by Gary Kraftsow. You will also need the Yoga Teachers Toolbox, produced by Joseph and Lillian LePage of Integrative Yoga Therapy. It is an incredibly rich resource that you will want to familiarize yourself with before our training. You can purchase it online.
The complete list of required reading will be sent to you when your application is accepted. All other assignments not listed above are available for free online.