Children's Yoga Specialty Certification
Global Family Yoga has been a Registered Yoga School with Yoga Alliance® since 2005. In 2011 our Children's Yoga Specialty training was registered to provide what was at the time a new Yoga specialty certification - Registered Children's Yoga Teacher (RCYT).
If you are interested in getting this level of certification we can help you meet your requirements.
A brief overview of what you will learn in this training:
- Sound Child Development Principals. When you understand where a child is at developmentally – cognitive, social, emotional, physical and spiritual, you can plan a practice that is safe and engaging while meeting each child’s unique needs. Every child has “special needs” and the better we can assess and respond to the individual child, the more effectively we can support their growth. This is at the heart of our training.
- Sensory Integration. Each child responds to the world based on how it is perceived through the senses. Learn what sensory integration is and how it influences a child’s mood, behavior and ability to learn. You will also learn how the entire practice of Yoga supports optimal sensory functioning. Read more in the article Sensory Integration and How Yoga Helps by Mira Binzen, Director of Training, Global Family Yoga.
- Cooperative Classroom Strategies. Every behavior emitted is an attempt to meet a need. Learn how to recognize the need behind the behavior and rather than giving consequences for disruptive behavior, learn to meet the need behind the behavior. You will also learn communication techniques that create calm and creativity in your yoga classes, and your personal life as well.
- Yoga Nidra. This is a deeply transformative practice. As a participant, you will have the chance to practice Yoga nidra several times during the training, to help integrate your experiences. You will also learn how to deliver this practice to children.
- Personal Practice. Develop or transform your personal practice to become a deep well of energy, inspiration and calm. Our community is incredibly supportive of each other in maintaining a personal lifestyle that allows all of us to live a life of purpose, vibrancy and ease.
- Lots of Yoga techniques! You will learn a catalog of techniques – breathing, postures, games, relaxation, meditation and more – all designed to be safe, engaging and effective for each child’s developmental need.
- Fun! When was the last time you got to gather with a group of amazing people to laugh and play for days? All of the philosophy and technology in our comprehensive training is grounded in experiential learning and when it comes to kids, that means FUN!.
In addition to the 90 hours of in-person training, you must complete an independent practicum to fulfill your certification requirements. You can download the required documents below.
We are currently offering the complete 95-hour children's Yoga specialty training in two formats -
- Weekends. The course is available as 6 weekends between January and June 2015 in Milwaukee, WI.
- 10-day Intensive. You can complete the entire program by attending our summer intensive July 10-20, 2015 in Racine, WI.
Please visit our calendar for dates and locations.
If you are interested in bringing the certification program or individual courses to your area please contact us.
Children's Yoga Specialty Training Independent Practicum
This is the independent practicum for the Children’s Yoga Specialty Certification program. You can begin as soon as you have completed your first 30 hours of training.
The assignment is to develop and deliver a yoga class for children based on what you’ve learned in the training program. Then complete the session report provided and turn it in for review. Instructions are included.
If you have questions about the Independent Practicum please contact us.